Friday, April 15, 2011

Blogging For One Year

Okay, so maybe it's a little bit longer than a year, but at least I'm in the right month. From 0 followers to 12, from not having a Flag Counter to over 2,000 pageviews by about 70 different countries - The Critiquing Critica has evolved over this span of time. Yeah, I guess it was a good first year.


For about half a year before actually getting around to make this blog, I decided that I wanted to review the books I read, and maybe a few movies and CDs. Just to talk about them and share my general opinion. I had no idea that book blogging existed at the time. Heck, I wasn't even sure what a blog was! Well one thing led to another, and here I am, talking about my little blogging journey.


A lot has changed around here since April 6, 2010. First of all, my reviewing style has definately grown. Originally, I wrote a summary, one paragraph critiquing the writing of the book (or acting in the movie, etc.) and one paragraph about how I generally felt, followed by the star rating. Now, I go much further. In fact, my reviews are a bit too in depth and lengthy, but I don't want to leave anything unmentioned. I've always examined things closely, but now I notice more than ever, I am even more of a critic. Also, the blog got a make-over at some point, since Blogger had some new pretty templates to offer.


However, I got a little scared in my first year of blogging. I read a few things about the subject, and before I knew it, I was asking myself the question all the time: Will a publisher even give me the time of day, knowing I am basically a book blogger? For so long, I've wanted to have my work published someday, so I became terribly frightened, and actually considered giving up blogging forever. Soon, I figured out this would only happen if I bash people that I don't like (or if I just don't like their work), and quite frankly, I don't. Honestly, I think I'm fair. It's not often that I review something I have no nice things to say about, so why should I worry? In addition, when pondering this, I always came back to my original reasons for starting The Critiquing Critica, and I don't know how I lived before. How did I function, holding in my opinions on the books I read and movies I saw? Especially since I tend to go with what the minority of people like around here, I had no one to talk to about these things without boring them. That's why I blog.


So, I have officially celebrated my first blogging anniversery. Better late than never.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the one year anniversary! I wouldn't be afraid of reviews making it hard to get published (especially since you said you aren't bashing anyone). Gaining followers will actually help you, so keep on blogging! :)

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete