Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Most OCD Bookish Habits

For this lovely Top Ten Tuesday, a meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish, bloggers were given a freebie, so I picked a past topic from a long time ago that I missed:

Top Ten Most OCD Bookish Habits
(and some stuff that generally irks me)

1 
FINGERPRINTS. Sometimes book covers are shiny/glossy/etc., and if I smudge it up with fingerprints, I freak out a little. So, how do I hold the book? I always take the book jacket off of my hardcovers when reading, but my paperbacks... It's kind of hard to explain.
 
2
I alphabetize my bookshelf by the authors' last names... But I always cringe when I see one of my favorite books next to something I didn't like. It just feels belittling! But I can't just not have my books in alphabetical order either!
 
3
I need hardcover books, especially if they're thick. They're just more durable; I don't have to worry about bending up the spines. My paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is so bent up and filmsy that when I open it now, it immediately wants to go to the middle and nearly snaps in half!
 
4
Not really a habit, just something that bothers me: Why are my first five paperback Harry Potter books' pages yellowing!? I wanted to get as many Harry Potter books as possible, so I got the 1-5 book box set in paperback. Just a smidge of the top of the pages stick out of the box, and that part is all yellowed. WHY MUST MY HARRY POTTER BOOKS SUFFER?
 
5
Large hardcover books make life difficult. I don't mind reading big books; that's not the problem. When I put them on my bookshelf, I often must lay them down so the back of the cover is facedown. (I hope that description wasn't too weird.) Why? Because I own a copy of Stephen King's one thousand-paged monster of a novel Under the Dome, and I tried stacking it normally, but it was so heavy that the spine just couldn't handle it and started to break down. Now I think that's going to happen to all my large books.
 
6
I really don't like buying books online because I can't inspect them before purchasing to make sure they're in fabulous condition. Besides, half of the time when I get books in the mail, they're wrapped up tightly in this plastic stuff and it weakens the bottom and top of the spines or marked with Sharpie along the pages.
 
7
Why does Wal-Mart feel the need to put the little price sticker on the front cover? Then I have too peel it off when I get home, and hopefully it isn't too sticky so I can actually get the crap off without having ickiness on the front cover.
 
8
I often stare at my Sailor Moon books and wonder if I have them in the right order. Can anyone tell me if I should put manga in order from left to right or right to left?
 
9
SILENCE! I'm reading! Am I the only one who can't read with outside noise?
 
10
I always have to finish a book even if I don't like it or am no longer in the mood... I don't know why I feel the need to do this. I've only had to give up on a book perhaps three times in my life, and it's usually because I really loathe it or am seriously not interested.
 
 
So... Am I the only one with these habits/issues? Or am I just weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment