Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Catching Up: Cool Stuff Like Books, Music, and TV

So... I've been a little MIA. It's not that I haven't been reading; it's not that I haven't been checking out new music. Because I've been doing all of that. The problem is that nothing I've been into lately is really reviewable - but there's nothing that isn't sharable! Let's catch up!

 
Books
I've been devouring the modern classics! I FINALLY read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and it was quite fantastic though depressing. But despite that it's such a deep book, I doubt my thoughts concerning it will sound much different than everyone else's praise, so I didn't write a post. Plus, I've been reading the renewal editions of the Sailor Moon manga by Naoko Takeuchi. I can't compare the renewal editions to the originals since I never had the opportunity to read those, but I really do love these books.
 
Right now, I'm reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I might do a classics review on this one when I finish it, but it depends on how well my thoughts about it can be assembled, if I can find a way to write about it. So far, I'm really enjoying that one. After I'm finished? I think I might move on to Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

Oh, and I mustn't forget Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I've been working on this oldie for a while, but I'm having major issues connecting to the characters. Hopefully I can bring myself to make it to the end soon, and hopefully I end up liking it.

 
TV
I've been keeping up with Stephen King's Under the Dome television adaptation, and it's pretty interesting to see the new twists and differences from the book even when I don't approve of too many of them. But, I'll live. Twisted is another new show I've been watching, and I feel relatively neutral about it. Sometimes I feel a little impatient with it, but again, I'll live.
 
But, most importantly: OH MY GOODNESS TEEN WOLF'S THIRD SEASON. It's so hectic and awesome! Between the impressive marketing strategies (which includes commercials taunting me by telling me that someone will die, that the killer will be revealed, etc.) and the general plotline, I've been going insane for this show all summer. Even the film score has me jumping for joy - they're using a choir this time around! Each episode has been rollercoaster-like; they aren't afraid to threaten the lives of our favorite characters. And we're only in the first part of the season! The second part will begin in the winter... Which I'm not the happiest about. I'm happy that we get more Teen Wolf, but there's a lot going on in the winter with the Sochi Olympics, I suspect Mob Wives will have another season this winter, and we might even get the Sailor Moon anime remake. So much to watch!


Music
In the grand scheme, I haven't been getting into too much new music. I liked a few songs off of Daughter's debut LP, If You Leave, and I also love this single from The Bloody Beetroots called "Out of Sight," which features Paul McCartney and Youth.



 
 
Fortunately, I don't have to wait too long for new albums I'm bound to enjoy. This fall, Within Temptation will release a new album along with Lady Gaga's ARTPOP, and Epica will release a live DVD called Retrospect and are planning a new 2014 album. Yay!

Of course, I can always turn to less-than-new-music as well. Thanks to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I've fallen in love with the song "Asleep" by The Smiths, and thanks to Teen Wolf, I've discovered "Joanna" by Deaf Joe. Both are so beautiful.


I think that sums everything up! This is what I've been preoccupied with this summer! Do you like any of the books, shows, or music I mentioned?


No comments:

Post a Comment