Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Fame | Lady Gaga



Lady Gaga's debut album, The Fame, opens with "Just Dance" (featuring Colby O'Donis). It's a fun, party song and a fabulous introduction. From there, the listener is led to the more electronically serious songs, "Lovegame", "Paparazzi", and the infamous, "Poker Face". "Lovegame" is a bouncy, but somewhat stern track, which is perfect to lead to my favorite song from The Fame: "Paparazzi". "Paparazzi" is modern electronic art at its best, with its psychotically awesome lyrics and hardcore electric riffs. It's also one of the more mellow songs from this album, and it's quite phenominal in its strangeness and edginess. Anyone who listens to this and doesn't know that Lady Gaga is going to be as big as Madonna is crazy.

After the infectious "Poker Face" comes "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" - my least favorite from The Fame. It's a cute and corny short track, and is followed by a funky track entitled "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich". The next two songs are "The Fame" and "Money Honey". Both are materialistic songs that are obviously centralized around fame and money.

"Starstruck" includes Space Cowboy and Flo Rida. Flo Rida ruined the cool Lady Gaga and Space Cowboy Effect for me, but I'm sure most will disagree.

I liked "Boys Boys Boys". One of the things I've noticed about this album's lyrics is how Lady Gaga uses an unusual amount of imagery. That imagery is evident in this track, but it doesn't make this track as memorable as the others. "Paper Gangsta", for example, is one of the songs from The Fame that I find most memorable. The idea of combining piano with an edgy electric rythm was a very good idea, Ms. Gaga. This leads well into the blues-ish song, "Brown Eyes".

"I Like it Rough" is hard for me to understand lyric wise.

The ending note is track fourteen, "Summerboy". It's one of my favorite summer-based tunes, and a very nice end to The Fame, being one of two of the most innocent songs on The Fame.

From beginning to end, Lady Gaga experiments with sound and styles. All in all, she sings of love and fame in the most creative and visual of ways. It's catchy, it's classic, and it's the face of modern electronic music. This album is a very memorable piece of modern art in my collection of C.Ds and millions all over the world - let alone defined the future.
4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment